Jimmy Swaggart attended the farewell service of his co-pastor for a Louisiana congregation, and the departing preacher urged the church to support Swaggart's crumbling ministry.
The Rev. Jim Rentz bid a gentle goodbye Sunday at Swaggart's Family Worship Center but made no mention of a sex scandal involving Swaggart."I'm not leading a parade out of this church," Rentz told about 1,200 worshipers. "We're not leaving here with bad feelings. We're leaving here with love."
Rentz resigned earlier this month after Swaggart was found associating with a prostitute in California. It was the second scandal involving Swaggart and prostitutes.
The episode has shaken the ministry to the point of collapse. Crusades and television programs have been canceled, workers laid off and Swaggart has said he will take a leave from the pulpit.
Swaggart and his wife, Frances, were at the church for Rentz's farewell sermon.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15