A runaway car jumped a sidewalk and struck and killed three young children as they played in front of a house, police and witnesses said.
The children died after they were taken to two hospitals after the accident Friday night. Killed were Jason Northrup, 9; his sister, Marlene, 7, and a 2-year-old neighbor, R. J. Murray.The car driver, Stan Dlugolenski, 79, was slightly injured. He said the car "just went like a rocket on me" as he turned a corner.
"It just kept going," he said. "I had the car serviced yesterday. I tried the brakes and they wasn't working. I just couldn't get it to stop."
Police Lt. Victor Gillis said authorities would check the vehicle for mechanical failure. No charges had been filed Saturday, Gillis said.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- Police say unlicensed massage therapist...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 15