A runaway car jumped a sidewalk and struck and killed three young children as they played in front of a house, police and witnesses said.
The children died after they were taken to two hospitals after the accident Friday night. Killed were Jason Northrup, 9; his sister, Marlene, 7, and a 2-year-old neighbor, R. J. Murray.The car driver, Stan Dlugolenski, 79, was slightly injured. He said the car "just went like a rocket on me" as he turned a corner.
"It just kept going," he said. "I had the car serviced yesterday. I tried the brakes and they wasn't working. I just couldn't get it to stop."
Police Lt. Victor Gillis said authorities would check the vehicle for mechanical failure. No charges had been filed Saturday, Gillis said.
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Christmas giving project makes former patient...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 74
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 30
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 24
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18