A runaway car jumped a sidewalk and struck and killed three young children as they played in front of a house, police and witnesses said.
The children died after they were taken to two hospitals after the accident Friday night. Killed were Jason Northrup, 9; his sister, Marlene, 7, and a 2-year-old neighbor, R. J. Murray.The car driver, Stan Dlugolenski, 79, was slightly injured. He said the car "just went like a rocket on me" as he turned a corner.
"It just kept going," he said. "I had the car serviced yesterday. I tried the brakes and they wasn't working. I just couldn't get it to stop."
Police Lt. Victor Gillis said authorities would check the vehicle for mechanical failure. No charges had been filed Saturday, Gillis said.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 10