A runaway car jumped a sidewalk and struck and killed three young children as they played in front of a house, police and witnesses said.
The children died after they were taken to two hospitals after the accident Friday night. Killed were Jason Northrup, 9; his sister, Marlene, 7, and a 2-year-old neighbor, R. J. Murray.The car driver, Stan Dlugolenski, 79, was slightly injured. He said the car "just went like a rocket on me" as he turned a corner.
"It just kept going," he said. "I had the car serviced yesterday. I tried the brakes and they wasn't working. I just couldn't get it to stop."
Police Lt. Victor Gillis said authorities would check the vehicle for mechanical failure. No charges had been filed Saturday, Gillis said.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19