South Jordan is a study in demographic extremes. It was the fastest-growing city along the Wasatch Front during 1990, experiencing a population increase of 7.04 percent. It has one of the youngest median ages in the nation - 19.9 years -- and the largest households among larger cities in Utah -- 4.32 people per household. And the average adjusted gross income for South Jordan families -- $32,354 -- exceeds the state average by more than $9,000 and is the highest in the Salt Lake Valley.
Origin of city's name
In order to obtain a federal water grant, residents of the area were required to incorporate as a city. The community complied, taking the name from its water company, the South Jordan Pipeline and Irrigation Co. The company's board of directors became the city's first City Council.
Date of incorporation: November 8, 1935.
Did you know?
Visitors to the LDS Jordan River Temple increase the population of South Jordan by approximately 5,000 -- about 40 percent -- every day.
Median hone price: $93,900
1 park, 1 being developed
1 equestrian park
6 baseball diamonds
7 tennis courts
4 horseshoe courts
5 picnic areas
2 soccer fields
Aggravated assault, 9
Median age: 19.9
Household size: 4.32 people per household
Nearly all registered South Jordan residents voted in the last presidential election. The city posted a 93 percent voter turnout. Voters decidedly favored George Bush, who defeated Michael Dukakis 3,074 to 1,060. A total of 113 people voted for other candidates, most of them favoring Libertarian Ron Paul.
Largest employer: County Court House
Largest taxpayer: Country Square Shopping Center.
12,220, Utah's 22nd-largest city
Asian or Polynesian 105
American Indian 23
Sources: South Jordan City Corp., Salt Lake County clerk, State Data Center, U.S. Census Bureau, State Bureau of Criminal Identification, Claritas Corp., CACI marketing research.
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Citywide remodels home for family of teen...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 8