Five robbers shot an armored truck guard to death outside a food packaging company, and police Tuesday searched for witnesses to help them identify the bandits who fled with more than a half-million dollars.
The guard tried to resist the robbers who held up he and his partner as theypicked up receipts from a wholesaler in a deserted area of Hunts Point about 2:30 p.m. Monday in the Bronx, police said.David Fleming, 49, a retired city corrections officer, was declared dead about an hour later at Lincoln Hospital.
The robbers held up Fleming and his partner as they left the Kwak Trading Co., a wholesale distributor of Mexican and African foods, said detective Joseph McConville, a police spokesman.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 48
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 43
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12