Whatever happened to Jay North, of "Dennis the Menace"? - L.L., Cherry Hill, N.J.
Stats: Born Aug. 3, 1952, in North Hollywood, Calif. Educated in studio schools. Married and divorced once.Early years: North was 6 when he made his TV debut on "Queen for a Day" and followed with spots with Dinah Shore, George Gobel, Milton Berle and Ernie Ford. He did a 1958 guest role on "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and then dramatic roles in "Sugarfoot" and "Robert Taylor's Detectives." At 7, he was cast as "Dennis the Menace."
Famous for: From 1959-63 he starred as Dennis the Menace, based on Hank Ketcham's comic strip.
In recent years: North did guest roles on "Wagon Train," "My Three Sons" and "The Lucy Show," then did the movie and TV series "Maya," filmed in India in 1967. In 1977, he went into the Navy and served a four-year hitch. He did a short-lived role in "General Hospital" but he found adult roles hard to get. He gave up acting for several business enterprises and talked of becoming a movie producer, which never came about. He still is seen occasionally on TV.
- Send questions to Whatever happened to . . ., Detroit Free Press, 321 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit MI 48226. Volume of mail prohibits personal replies.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 25