Whatever happened to Jay North, of "Dennis the Menace"? - L.L., Cherry Hill, N.J.
Stats: Born Aug. 3, 1952, in North Hollywood, Calif. Educated in studio schools. Married and divorced once.Early years: North was 6 when he made his TV debut on "Queen for a Day" and followed with spots with Dinah Shore, George Gobel, Milton Berle and Ernie Ford. He did a 1958 guest role on "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and then dramatic roles in "Sugarfoot" and "Robert Taylor's Detectives." At 7, he was cast as "Dennis the Menace."
Famous for: From 1959-63 he starred as Dennis the Menace, based on Hank Ketcham's comic strip.
In recent years: North did guest roles on "Wagon Train," "My Three Sons" and "The Lucy Show," then did the movie and TV series "Maya," filmed in India in 1967. In 1977, he went into the Navy and served a four-year hitch. He did a short-lived role in "General Hospital" but he found adult roles hard to get. He gave up acting for several business enterprises and talked of becoming a movie producer, which never came about. He still is seen occasionally on TV.
- Send questions to Whatever happened to . . ., Detroit Free Press, 321 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit MI 48226. Volume of mail prohibits personal replies.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 66
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8