Whatever happened to Jay North, of "Dennis the Menace"? - L.L., Cherry Hill, N.J.
Stats: Born Aug. 3, 1952, in North Hollywood, Calif. Educated in studio schools. Married and divorced once.Early years: North was 6 when he made his TV debut on "Queen for a Day" and followed with spots with Dinah Shore, George Gobel, Milton Berle and Ernie Ford. He did a 1958 guest role on "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and then dramatic roles in "Sugarfoot" and "Robert Taylor's Detectives." At 7, he was cast as "Dennis the Menace."
Famous for: From 1959-63 he starred as Dennis the Menace, based on Hank Ketcham's comic strip.
In recent years: North did guest roles on "Wagon Train," "My Three Sons" and "The Lucy Show," then did the movie and TV series "Maya," filmed in India in 1967. In 1977, he went into the Navy and served a four-year hitch. He did a short-lived role in "General Hospital" but he found adult roles hard to get. He gave up acting for several business enterprises and talked of becoming a movie producer, which never came about. He still is seen occasionally on TV.
- Send questions to Whatever happened to . . ., Detroit Free Press, 321 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit MI 48226. Volume of mail prohibits personal replies.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Police: Man confronts driver's ed student,...
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8