The American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters has selected 14 composers to receive this year's music awards.
Four composers, Frederic Goosens, Donald Harris, Tania J. Leon and Nicholas Thorne, won a $7,500 award for their creative work. The award includes one recording of a composition for each winner.Marjorie Merryman receives the Walter Hinrichsen award for publication of a work of music, given to a composer in mid-career.
Nathan Currier receives the $10,000 Charles Ives Fellowship, and Michael Daugherty and Paul Moravec receive Goddard Lieberson Fellowships - these awards were established to recognize "young composers of extraordinary gifts."
Kendall D. Briggs, Edmund J. Campion, John Vasconcelos Costa, Justin Davidson, Eric Sessler and Julia Wolfe all receive Ives Scholarships of $5,000 each - these awards are for young composers for continued study in composition.
Music-awards candidates are nominated by the academy's members, and their work is judged by an awards committee of prominent composers.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17