1919 ~ 2004
J. Philip Dalby, age 85, passed away April 30, 2004. He suffered seven years with diabetes and cancer, and was released to be with his Heavenly Father and his parents who had gone on before him.
Phil was born March 29, 1919 in Driggs, Idaho to Cleon Ezra and Ethelwynne (Griggs) Dalby. Phil attended school in Palisade, Colorado, and graduated from high school in Denver. He served in the North Central States Mission 1939-1941, began studies at the University of Utah, and enlisted in the Army soon after Dec. 7th. He graduated from the Army Music School in Vir-ginia and was a Warrant Officer in the 707 th
AAF Band until discharged in 1945.
He married Barbara Magnuson in 1944 in Spokane, and they were sealed in the Logan Temple in July that year. They have four children: Derrill Cleon, Jan Fredric, David Byron, and Joyce (Chason).
He is survived by his wife; four children; 17 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and his brother, Max. He was preceded in death by his brother, Glen.
Phil earned a B.A. from San Diego State; a Master's Degree from the Univ. of Utah; and a Ph.D. from the Univ. of Oregon. Always active in the LDS Church, he taught, directed choirs, and served as bishop's counselor and stake high councilor. He directed the band at USAC (now USU) in Logan, taught and served as college department head and president of two Community Colleges (Morton and Thornton Colleges in the Chicago area). He was director of the Dale Mabry Campus in Tampa, FL, where he retired in 1970. Phil and Barbara then served a mission at BYU-Hawaii. Phil was talented in both art and music. He drew the "Book of Mormon" cartoon series in the
'Church News' 1947-1953. He had a beautiful baritone voice and concertized until 1992 when he declined in health.
Funeral services will be held Friday, May 7, 2004, at 10 a.m. at the Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Friends and family may call one hour before the services at the mortuary. Interment will be in the military section of the Salt Lake City Cemetery immediately following the services.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Ogden couple killed in murder-suicide identified
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 51
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11