50 years ago
The Hamilton New Zealand Temple was dedicated by President David O. McKay on April 20, 1958, becoming the Church's 11th operating temple. It was the third of five temples dedicated by President McKay. Less than five months later he dedicated the London England Temple.
Three days prior to the dedication of the temple in New Zealand, President McKay dedicated the Church College of New Zealand, according to the April 26, 1958, Church News.
General Authorities accompanying President McKay on the trip to New Zealand were Elder Delbert L. Stapley and Elder Marion G. Romney of the Quorum of the Twelve, and Elder Gordon B. Hinckley, a newly sustained Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve.
The article reported that 112,500 people toured the temple near Wellington during an open house prior to its dedication.
It stated: "The temple and college occupy a prominent 86-acre site surrounded by 130 acres of college farmland. Also at the site are a Church-owned and operated concrete block plant, steel fabrication shop, lumber treatment plant and joinery.
"These supply materials for other Church construction projects in Oceania and provide valued vocational training for the school's students."