Derwin J. Orgill
1928 ~ 2008
OGDEN- Derwin Jay Orgill, 80, died Monday, Feb. 4, 2008 at his home with his family following a long illness.
He was born January 4, 1928 in Magna, UT, a son of Richard Wright and Hannah Inez Stringfellow Orgill.
Derwin married Beth Macfarlane on Sept. 11, 1952 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Surviving are their four daughters: Kay Orgill, Leeds, UT; Diann (Cody) Ward, Las Vegas, NV; Janae (Curtis) Sutton, Layton;
Nanette (Reggie) Traylor, Las Vegas, NV. They were later divorced. He married Elizabeth "Betty" Hill on Jan. 3, 1977 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Derwin is survived by his wife
Betty of Ogden; two step-sons, Douglas (Phyllis) Hill, Harrisville; David L. Hill, Ogden; 24 grand-children and 20 great-grand-children. Also surviving is one brother and one sister, Richard (Jean) Orgill, Logan; Janice Akamian, Tualatin, OR.
He spent his childhood in Draper, Utah and lived briefly in Salt Lake and Provo. He graduated from Jordan High School in 1946 and attended Weber State College, Brigham Young University and the University of Utah. He lived his adult life in Ogden until he and Betty retired and moved to St. George. They returned to Ogden two years ago.
Derwin was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving a mission to the British Isles from 1948 to 1950. He served in various capacities including a counselor to two Bishops, a Bishop of the Ogden 15th Ward and as Branch President in St. George at the Meadows Branch.
He served his country with the U.S. Air Force during World War II.
He worked at Weber State College and Thiokol. Most of his career was spent as an administrator for Weber County School District.
Derwin was a member of the Sons of the Utah Pioneers and the Mormon Boys of Utah male chorus. He enjoyed books and music, and he and Betty loved to travel.
Preceding Derwin in death were his parents, a sister, a grandson, a step-son and two great-granddaughters.
Many thanks for the kind and tender care given from Alpine Hospice and the Legacy House aides.
Funeral services will be held Sat. at 1:00 p.m. at Lindquist's Ogden Mortuary, 3408 Washington Blvd.
Friends may call at the mortuary on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. and Sat. 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Interment, Ogden City Cemetery where Military Honors will be
Email condolences to the family at: www.lindquistmortuary.com
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15