Helen Louise Skousen
1925 ~ 2007
Helen Louise Skousen, 82, quietly passed away on Monday, October 8, 2007.She was born on February 9, 1925, in Clairton, PA, to James Etly and Mattie Estelle McCarty. She married Leroy Bentley Skousen at the St. George Temple on June 16, 1944. They lived in Ohio, California, and Portland, Oregon until his untimely death in 1964. Shortly
after, Helen moved to Utah, living in Provo, Lindon, and Orem, and
devoted her life to raising their 10 children. After 43 years, Roy and Helen are together again.
Helen was a creative soul, having a gift for color. With over 700
varieties of iris, her gardens were famous throughout the valley,
winning civic awards for her beautiful yards. She created charming homes decorated with her intricate braided rugs. Helen brought life to every occasion.
She is survived by nine children: Royal (Sirkku), Orem; Joel (Marilyn), Orem; Mark (Jo Ann), Irvington, NY; Bonny Coombs (Bruce), Orem; Phil (Patty), Orem; Jonathan Saltzman, Provo; Sara Staker (Ed), Mount Pleasant; James (Kalin), Orem; Neil (Janet), Orem. She was known as "Mutey" to 38 grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren. She was
preceded in death by her husband, Leroy, and sons Timothy and Nevin.
Funeral services will be held on Friday, Oct. 12, 2007, at 12 noon, in the Hillcrest 8th Ward Chapel, 1035 S. 800 E., Orem. Family and friends may call Thurs. evening, Oct. 11, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Walker Sanderson Funeral Home, 646 E. 800 N., Orem, and from 10-11:30 a.m. Fri. morning at the church prior to the services. Interment will be held in the Orem City Cemetery. Condolences may be sent to the family at: www.walkerfamilymortuary.com
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- Midvale teen ran over mom with car after...
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- Testimony focuses on relationship between...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Price teen killed in Carbon County crash
- Audit reveals flawed projections on Utah's...
- Body of woman found near hiking trail in...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 83
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 38
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 18
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10
- Who should pay? City, developer,... 10