Orlon L. Nordfelt
World War II Veteran
1924 ~ 2007
Orlon Larsen Nordfelt, 83, loving husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, passed away Monday, September 10, 2007, at his home in Draper, Utah of congestive heart failure.Orlon was born on 4 May 1924 in Salina, Utah, the son of Charles Conred Nordfelt and Ethel Amanda Curtis. On 7 October 1946 he was married to Desna Ferrell in the Salt Lake LDS Temple by Elder Harold B. Lee. He graduated from North Sevier High School with honors and then worked as a clerk typist at Hill Air Force Base. Orlon then served in the United States Army 8th Air Force as the Base Sergeant Major at the 403rd Base Air Depot in Northern Ireland. He also served as a trumpet player in a volunteer dance band and played taps for military
Orlon was employed by Combined Metals Reduction Company for 15 years as a metallurgical accountant and then by Hercules, Inc. for 25 years until his retirement on 30 June 1986. He then attended the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and graduated Cum Laude, receiving his Bachelor of Arts Degree. He was given scholarship awards and was a member of Phi Alpha Theta, Golden Key National Honor Society, Phi Kappa Phi, and Phi Beta Kappa. Orlon has always had an insatiable thirst for knowledge.
At the time of his death Orlon was an active High Priest in the Draper Riverview 6th Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was called to serve in many different church callings and particularly enjoyed working in the Jordan River Temple, teaching the Gospel Doctrine Class, and sharing musical callings with his wife Desna. He was an accomplished musician and directed many Ward and Stake Choirs, five Gilbert and Sullivan Operas, Promised Valley and Handel's Messiah productions. He loved his children and called them his "Pearls of Great Price" but said he did not understand the "great price" part until they became teenagers. He was admired for his beautiful yard and flowers.
He is survived by his children,
Tessa (Dan) Kothman, Susan (Marvin) Rytting, Bruce Nordfelt, Valerie (Rick) Hall, Debra (Allen) James, Greg (Laura) Nordfelt, 27 grandchildren, 34 great-grandchildren and two on the way. Orlon was preceded in death by Desna, his sweetheart of 60 years; his parents; two brothers; three sisters; and by two grandsons, Lonnie James and Brian Kothman.
Funeral services will be held Sat. September 15, 2007, 12 noon at the Draper Riverview 6th Ward Chapel, 552 East 11400 South. Family and friends may visit Friday, 6-8 p.m. at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 South Redwood Road, and Sat. at the church, 10:30-11:45 a.m prior to services. Interment, Valley View Memorial Park, 4335 West 4100 South, West Valley City, Utah.
Orlon wanted to express appreciation to Ken, Sunny, Mike, Bill, Ilaisa, Akata and Sandy for the loving care given to him.
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14