Orlon L. Nordfelt
World War II Veteran
1924 ~ 2007
Orlon Larsen Nordfelt, 83, loving husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, passed away Monday, September 10, 2007, at his home in Draper, Utah of congestive heart failure.Orlon was born on 4 May 1924 in Salina, Utah, the son of Charles Conred Nordfelt and Ethel Amanda Curtis. On 7 October 1946 he was married to Desna Ferrell in the Salt Lake LDS Temple by Elder Harold B. Lee. He graduated from North Sevier High School with honors and then worked as a clerk typist at Hill Air Force Base. Orlon then served in the United States Army 8th Air Force as the Base Sergeant Major at the 403rd Base Air Depot in Northern Ireland. He also served as a trumpet player in a volunteer dance band and played taps for military
Orlon was employed by Combined Metals Reduction Company for 15 years as a metallurgical accountant and then by Hercules, Inc. for 25 years until his retirement on 30 June 1986. He then attended the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and graduated Cum Laude, receiving his Bachelor of Arts Degree. He was given scholarship awards and was a member of Phi Alpha Theta, Golden Key National Honor Society, Phi Kappa Phi, and Phi Beta Kappa. Orlon has always had an insatiable thirst for knowledge.
At the time of his death Orlon was an active High Priest in the Draper Riverview 6th Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was called to serve in many different church callings and particularly enjoyed working in the Jordan River Temple, teaching the Gospel Doctrine Class, and sharing musical callings with his wife Desna. He was an accomplished musician and directed many Ward and Stake Choirs, five Gilbert and Sullivan Operas, Promised Valley and Handel's Messiah productions. He loved his children and called them his "Pearls of Great Price" but said he did not understand the "great price" part until they became teenagers. He was admired for his beautiful yard and flowers.
He is survived by his children,
Tessa (Dan) Kothman, Susan (Marvin) Rytting, Bruce Nordfelt, Valerie (Rick) Hall, Debra (Allen) James, Greg (Laura) Nordfelt, 27 grandchildren, 34 great-grandchildren and two on the way. Orlon was preceded in death by Desna, his sweetheart of 60 years; his parents; two brothers; three sisters; and by two grandsons, Lonnie James and Brian Kothman.
Funeral services will be held Sat. September 15, 2007, 12 noon at the Draper Riverview 6th Ward Chapel, 552 East 11400 South. Family and friends may visit Friday, 6-8 p.m. at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 South Redwood Road, and Sat. at the church, 10:30-11:45 a.m prior to services. Interment, Valley View Memorial Park, 4335 West 4100 South, West Valley City, Utah.
Orlon wanted to express appreciation to Ken, Sunny, Mike, Bill, Ilaisa, Akata and Sandy for the loving care given to him.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Fugitive arrested after allegedly firing a...
- How to fly with kids: TSA offers tips for...
- Governor touts education as key to state tech...
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a candy...
- Groups write U.S. Attorney General asking for...
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah delegation...
- Protestors want Sim Gill to resign over...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 73
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a... 30
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 25
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 24