Mel Blanc, the voice of Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny and legions of other cartoon characters, put the same signature on his life as he did on his work, says his son, who had the famous words engraved on a new tombstone.
"That's All Folks," reads the 5-foot white marble monument at the Beth-Olam Cemetery, near Hollywood's Paramount Studio.Those were "the last words he ever said on-camera or off-camera," Blanc's son, Noel, said Monday.
The headstone was installed in time to mark the first anniversary of his father's death on July 10, 1989, Blanc said.
The elder Blanc delivered the daffy Looney Tunes sign-off, "That's All Folks," while filming a commercial for Buick automobiles with Noel when he was stricken and rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
He died about two months later at the age of 81.
Blanc was the voice who gave life to hundreds of cartoon characters, including Yosemite Sam, Daffy Duck, Sylvester the Cat and other Warner Bros. creations.
Even now, "My dad is heard by 250 million people every day all over the world," Blanc said. "They figure that somewhere you can turn on a television and hear him."
The younger Blanc has carried on his father's tradition and recently recorded Bugs Bunny singing "Happy Birthday" greetings to more than 1,400 different names for a computerized 900 telephone service.
Nevertheless, he said, "Nobody ever will be able to do what (the elder Blanc) has done. He created more than 1,500 voices."
The new headstone reads:
"That's All Folks
Man of a Thousand Voices
Beloved Husband and Father
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9