A concerto by Henry Wolking, professor of music and director of jazz studies at the University of Utah, has won first prize in the 1987 composition contest of the International Horn Society.
The piece, a Chamber Concerto for Horn, Violin and Bassoon, took top honors in the horn trio category. It was premiered at the IHS Conference held last June at Brigham Young University; performers then were Jane Woolley, horn, bassoonist Mitchell Morrison and violinist Amy Jackson.In addition to a $1,000 cash prize, the winning composition will be played at the 1988 Horn Workshop in Potsdam, N.Y. Copies of the score will also be on display.
Another of Wolking's horn compositions, his Concerto for Horn and Wind Symphony, was selected as one of the eight best new works for symphonic winds by the Virginia Band Masters' Association. Wolking was invited to conduct the piece at the University of Richmond last February.
Two more pieces of Wolking's, his Woodwind Quintet No. 1 (1971) and Suite for Baroque Ensemble (1982), have just been issued on Crystal Records in performances by the Salt Lake Chamber Ensemble and other local performers. Also on the album are two pieces by the late Ramiro Cortes, the Capriccio for Woodwind Quintet (1971) and "Rick's Harpsichord Fantasy," written in 1984 for harpsichordist Ricklen Nobis.
Until his death in 1984, Cortes was composer-in-residence at the U.
(BU) KSL-TV ARTS REPORTER Carole Mikita will address the subject of arts coverage on television in a talk Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Phillips Gallery, 444 E. Second South.
Sponsored by the Contemporary Arts Group, the event is free to CAG members, $3 to others. Discussed will be how stories are selected, how a news story differs from an event and how groups and individuals can better their chances of TV coverage. Video examples will be included.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 70
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17