Eight proposals or letters were submitted by Utah cities or counties Friday for winter sports facilities for the 1998 or 2002 Winter Olympic Games.
The cities and counties and the facility proposed were:-Summit County, which wants to construct a winter sports park that would include a bobsled-luge run and ski jumps.
-Ogden City/Weber County, Provo City and Salt Lake City, which want a speed-skating oval.
-Bountiful City, Ogden City, Orem City and Salt Lake City, which want an Olympic "ice sheet," a practice rink for ice skating.
Pat Hayes, assistant director of the Utah Division of Facilities Construction and Management, who released the list to the news media, said all but two of the proposals were submitted before a Friday 4 p.m. deadline. Proposals from Summit County and Bountiful City came in shortly after 4 p.m.
Salt Lake City's proposal for a giant speed-skating oval came in letter-form only, according to a proposal register.
In accordance with requirements of the Utah Procurement Code, details of the proposals were not released Friday.
"The code specifically states that the details (of the proposals) are not divulged until the selection is made. That's to protect the various entities that have put their proposals together. It's also to ensure that one entity doesn't get the details of another proposal while negotiations are in process," Hayes said.
The Utah Sports Authority Board, headed by entrepreneur Ian Cumming, will receive recommendations from a technical advisory committee on the eight proposals. The authority board will tour all the sites June 27 and 28 and is scheduled to announce its final site selections July 10.
Technical advisory committee members include Neal Stowe, director, and two other members of the Facilities Construction and Management Division staff, three members of the Salt Lake City Olympic Bid Committee and three representatives of national sports federations.
The U.S. Olympic Committee has selected Salt Lake City as its choice for either the 1998 or the 2002 Olympic Games. Salt Lake City will bid against five other cities for the 1998 Games. The International Olympic Committee will choose the site for the Games in June 1991 in Birmingham, England.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Police looking for man who allegedly fired at...
- Police searching for two men following...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 74
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 28
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16