Eight proposals or letters were submitted by Utah cities or counties Friday for winter sports facilities for the 1998 or 2002 Winter Olympic Games.
The cities and counties and the facility proposed were:-Summit County, which wants to construct a winter sports park that would include a bobsled-luge run and ski jumps.
-Ogden City/Weber County, Provo City and Salt Lake City, which want a speed-skating oval.
-Bountiful City, Ogden City, Orem City and Salt Lake City, which want an Olympic "ice sheet," a practice rink for ice skating.
Pat Hayes, assistant director of the Utah Division of Facilities Construction and Management, who released the list to the news media, said all but two of the proposals were submitted before a Friday 4 p.m. deadline. Proposals from Summit County and Bountiful City came in shortly after 4 p.m.
Salt Lake City's proposal for a giant speed-skating oval came in letter-form only, according to a proposal register.
In accordance with requirements of the Utah Procurement Code, details of the proposals were not released Friday.
"The code specifically states that the details (of the proposals) are not divulged until the selection is made. That's to protect the various entities that have put their proposals together. It's also to ensure that one entity doesn't get the details of another proposal while negotiations are in process," Hayes said.
The Utah Sports Authority Board, headed by entrepreneur Ian Cumming, will receive recommendations from a technical advisory committee on the eight proposals. The authority board will tour all the sites June 27 and 28 and is scheduled to announce its final site selections July 10.
Technical advisory committee members include Neal Stowe, director, and two other members of the Facilities Construction and Management Division staff, three members of the Salt Lake City Olympic Bid Committee and three representatives of national sports federations.
The U.S. Olympic Committee has selected Salt Lake City as its choice for either the 1998 or the 2002 Olympic Games. Salt Lake City will bid against five other cities for the 1998 Games. The International Olympic Committee will choose the site for the Games in June 1991 in Birmingham, England.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Fight Like Girls group helps women battle...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 68
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 16