Eight proposals or letters were submitted by Utah cities or counties Friday for winter sports facilities for the 1998 or 2002 Winter Olympic Games.
The cities and counties and the facility proposed were:-Summit County, which wants to construct a winter sports park that would include a bobsled-luge run and ski jumps.
-Ogden City/Weber County, Provo City and Salt Lake City, which want a speed-skating oval.
-Bountiful City, Ogden City, Orem City and Salt Lake City, which want an Olympic "ice sheet," a practice rink for ice skating.
Pat Hayes, assistant director of the Utah Division of Facilities Construction and Management, who released the list to the news media, said all but two of the proposals were submitted before a Friday 4 p.m. deadline. Proposals from Summit County and Bountiful City came in shortly after 4 p.m.
Salt Lake City's proposal for a giant speed-skating oval came in letter-form only, according to a proposal register.
In accordance with requirements of the Utah Procurement Code, details of the proposals were not released Friday.
"The code specifically states that the details (of the proposals) are not divulged until the selection is made. That's to protect the various entities that have put their proposals together. It's also to ensure that one entity doesn't get the details of another proposal while negotiations are in process," Hayes said.
The Utah Sports Authority Board, headed by entrepreneur Ian Cumming, will receive recommendations from a technical advisory committee on the eight proposals. The authority board will tour all the sites June 27 and 28 and is scheduled to announce its final site selections July 10.
Technical advisory committee members include Neal Stowe, director, and two other members of the Facilities Construction and Management Division staff, three members of the Salt Lake City Olympic Bid Committee and three representatives of national sports federations.
The U.S. Olympic Committee has selected Salt Lake City as its choice for either the 1998 or the 2002 Olympic Games. Salt Lake City will bid against five other cities for the 1998 Games. The International Olympic Committee will choose the site for the Games in June 1991 in Birmingham, England.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 39
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 38
- Federal government extends same-sex... 32
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15