1907 ~ 2003
Zina Vance Gygi passed gently from this life, due to conditions incident to age, on Sunday, December 21, 2003, at the age of 96.
Born to Lewis Jefferson and Mary Francis Farrell Vance in Alpine, Utah on September 12, 1907. She had five brothers (Louis, Angus, Kimball, Harmon and Weldon Vance) and one sister (Francis Vance Shoemaker). All preceded her in death.
She lived in Alpine until the age of 16, when she moved to Salt Lake. She attended and graduated from LDS High School.
Zina married Orson H. Gygi on June 13, 1928, in the Salt Lake Temple. He preceded her in death in 1984. Together they founded the Orson H. Gygi Company, a restaurant supply store in South Salt Lake, in 1950. She played an active role in the company, assisting her husband wherever needed.
A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, she was active in Church and community affairs. She held many callings in the Church (specifically the Relief Society Organization), as well as civic organizations. She served for many years as a "pink lady" at the Cottonwood Hospital, and as president of the Salt Lake Mothers' Club. She was an outstanding quilt maker and received several awards. She devoted her life to her family, and gave much service to others. She was also known as "The Best Cook in Town," by all her family and friends. She will be missed by all who knew her.
In 1950, Orson and Zina moved to Holladay, where she lived until she moved to Crosslands Rehabilitation Center, Sandy, after a severe stroke. The family wishes to thank the staff at Crosslands for their assistance in caring for Zina.
Zina and Orson had six children Wayne Vance (Kaye), Orem, Orson Paul (Ilene), Holladay, Wallace Neil (Aileen) (deceased 1988), Marjeanne McDonald (Ross A.), Sandy, Lola Ann Timmins (David), Salt Lake, and Perry Lynn (Ann), Sandy. She is survived by 31 grandchildren, 115 great-grandchildren, and six great-great-grandchildren.
Friends and family may call at the Holladay-Cottonwood Memorial Mortuary, 4670 S. Highland Dr., Holladay, on Tues., Dec 23 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. and on Wed., Dec 24 from 10:00-11:15 a.m.
Funeral services will be held at the Holladay-Cottonwood Memorial Mortuary, 4670 S. Highland Dr., Holladay at 11:30 a.m.
Burial will be at the Holladay Memorial Park, 4900 S. Memory Lane, Holladay.
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Families of men shocked in electrical...
- Man critically injured by power line while...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 79
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 26
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 18
- Herriman man dies following fistfight... 18
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 13
- Man killed in hostage standoff with... 11