1915 ~ 2003
Donal DeFriez Lybbert died at the age of 87 on October 21, 2003.
Don was born on November 16, 1915 in Roosevelt, Utah to Dan E. Lybbert and Frances DeFriez Lybbert. He grew up in Salt Lake City and received his education at East High School, George Washington University, and the University of Utah, where he received his bachelors degree and was a proud member of Sigma Chi. He served in the Army Air Corps in Italy during World War II. He married Elizabeth "Buffie" Hatch on February 23, 1946, and remained married to and in love with her until his passing. Don was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Don is survived by Buffie, sons Steven (Cindy) and David (Kara), eight grandchildren, Jess Lybbert, Hallie (Erik) Grahn, Josh Lybbert, Megan (Jake) Bundy, Cami Lybbert, Shannon Lybbert, Amanda Lybbert and Kaitlyn Lybbert and one great-grandchild, Tyler Grahn. He is also survived by nieces, nephews, and their spouses who he loved as if they were his children. He was preceded in death by his three siblings Venice Fagergren, Hap Lybbert and Gladys Fox.
Don was a real charmer with a great sense of humor. If you knew Don, you liked him. He would do anything for anybody without being asked. In the 1950's and 60's when the "official" youth baseball program would turn more boys away than it would accept, Don organized an alternative boy's baseball league in the Millcreek area so every boy who wanted to play baseball could, regardless of skill level or prior experience. Don loved spending time with family members, golfing at Willowcreek CC, and engaging in home improvement projects. Don will be missed by many.
Graveside service will be held on Saturday, October 25, 2003, 11:00 a.m. at Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 East 10600 South in Sandy. A viewing will be held from 10:00 to 10:45 a.m. at the Larkin Sunset Gardens Mortuary prior to the service. In lieu of flowers the family suggests contributions to the Make A Wish Foundation.
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- 6-year-old recounts terror of man breaking...
- UVU hopes to become 'national leader' with...
- Lane splits on I-15 near Point of the Mountain
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 58
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 12