1954 ~ 2003
Gary Wayne Ostler, 49, of Salt Lake City died Sunday, July 13, 2003 while trying to save his son Christopher Ostler after their plane crashed into Alaska's Icy Strait.
They were traveling with family members to Gustavus, Alaska for a 'fishing trip with the boys'.
Gary was a skilled pilot with over 10 years and almost 1,800 hours of flying experience in both single and multi-engine aircraft. He also enjoyed more than 600 hours of flying in his two helicopters. Some of Gary's other interests (which always included family) were finding and restoring classic American muscle cars, world travel, boating, playing games of all kinds and listening to music.
Gary's adventurous and youthful spirit (not to mention his good looks) drew people to him. He has enriched the lives of many with his generous giving of time, talents, expertise and overwhelming love.
Gary's memory and works will live on through his wife Christa Moses Ostler and step-daughter Sierra Moses of Salt Lake City; his children Stephanie (Ben) Gunn, Michelle (Khyl) Shumway, Elder Nathan Ostler serving in Munich Germany, Heather Ostler, Holly Ostler, and; mother Wanda Ostler of Alpine, siblings Stephen Ostler, Vyron (Jamie) Ostler, Dale Ostler, Donnell (Susan) Ostler, Sonda (Kent) Smith, Ralph Ostler, Brian (Anne) Ostler, Carlyle (Jennifer) Ostler, Margaret (John) Farnsworth, and Nathan Ostler. Gary was preceded in death by his father Stephen B. Ostler.
Gary was accompanied in death by his son Christopher Ostler and brothers-in-law Adam Moses and Gordon Moses. In Gary's memory, a donation account has been set up for Gordon's son, Gordon Gage Moses, at all Zions Bank locations.
A memorial service for Gary will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 2, 2003 at the Alpine Tabernacle located at 110 East Main Street in American Fork. Services under the direction of Warenski Funeral Home in American Fork, Utah.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22