Utah State administrators have begun a second round of evaluations and are in the process of narrowing their list of potential replacements for now ex-football coach Brent Guy.
Aggie athletic director Scott Barnes and university president Stan Albrecht have not made an offer to anyone yet, but they could do so in a day or two.
"We're going to take a little time and look things over," Barnes said. "We really like the guys we've talked to but want to give it a little thought."
Sources at USU told the Deseret News that DeWayne Walker, currently the defensive coordinator at UCLA, has become a more viable option in the last week and is calling in recommendations from friends to help lobby for the job.
Walker confirmed his continued interest in the job Monday night.
"I'm just waiting to see what's up and see where we go," Walker told the Deseret News by phone. "I have a definite interest in Utah State. They were the first school that showed an interest in me. I'm very impressed with the administration, and I have a history there, so we'll see. Right now, I have another game (Saturday against USC) to prepare for, and then hopefully something will happen."
Walker, however, is not the only candidate still in the running.
A source said Utah State has communicated with Michael "Chico" Canales a former USU quarterback and current South Florida assistant since meeting with him personally. No second interview has been scheduled, however.
Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen was asked about his interview with Utah State and his interest in the job. The only comment he had, however, was "no comment" at Utah's practice on Monday.
John L. Smith is now back on the Utah State coaching radar. Wyoming had shown interest in the former Idaho, USU, Louisville and Michigan State head coach, but it hired Missouri offensive coordinator Dave Christensen instead.And former USU player and Cache Valley native Kent Baer is reportedly also still a strong candidate but not at the top of the list, despite backing by several former prominent Aggie players and coaches.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22