"When we win tonight," Scott told fellow Chaffetz backers before results began to roll in, "everybody will think some genius was behind this campaign, but it wasn't me and it wasn't you, it was all of us."
Chaffetz will face Democrat Bennion Spencer in November. He will kick off the race Saturday with a party at his Alpine home at 7 p.m.
Regardless of who wins the November election for Utah's 3rd Congressional District, Utah will have a freshman lawmaker replacing Cannon and all the seniority he's accrued over six terms.
With Democrats in control, Cannon is the top Republican on the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law a panel where he previously served as chairman when the Republicans held the majority.
That panel handles bankruptcy law, interstate compacts and state taxes that affect interstate commerce, among other issues. Cannon is also on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which handles numerous congressional investigations.
Cannon is also a member of the House Natural Resources Committee, where he serves on the National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands Subcommittee, a key spot for a Utah lawmaker because there is so much public land in the state. Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, also sits on the panel.Although being in the majority does have its privileges, having committee and legislative experience regardless of who controls the House also has its perks and will be something a freshman lawmaker will have to learn.
Contributing: Suzanne Struglinski E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt... 9