Daniel Deane, who was released from the Utah basketball team in the spring, will be transferring to Oregon State, according to a report in the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
The 6-foot-9 forward was named Mr. Basketball by the Deseret Morning News in 2006 after leading Judge Memorial to the state 3A basketball championship.
As a freshman last year, he averaged 3.9 points and 2.7 rebounds in 12.9 minutes while starting four games. After coach Jim Boylen became the Ute coach, Deane didn't make the necessary academic progress needed to stay on the team and was released in May.
The Gazette-Times also reported that Oregon State is losing 6-6 swingman Jack McGillis, who would have been a junior, to a transfer.
OSU coach Jay John confirmed the McGillis transfer but isn't allowed to comment on Deane until he enrolls in school.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21